Starting beekeeping is a rewarding pursuit, whether you are venturing into it as a hobby or as business. Beekeeping is also important to the future of our own food supply and the health of our planet.
Honeybees are the fundamental keystone pollinator species. If they ceased to exist today, about 1/3 of the food we eat would disappear. You be might wondering why are bees declining? Beekeeping experts and scientists attribute the significant decline in bees in recent years to Colony Collapse Disorder.
Here are some reasons you should consider learning how to raise bees:
- The honeybee works for almost nothing. They feed themselves (a honeybee can forage for nectar and pollen efficiently in a 2-to-2-1/2 mile radius of their colony) and clean up after themselves as well. There are several flowers that attract bees, and can be planted to offer honeybees a plentiful food source.
- You don’t have to own large tracts of your land, barns or fences. You can live in an apartment building, and have all your colonies located someplace else.
- There is very little winter time work with honeybees. In the fall, beekeeping involves preparing the honeybee colonies so they have plenty of food for the winter as well as addressing pest, predator and disease issues.
- Who doesn’t love fresh honey? Bees produce more honey than they need to survive a winter on their own. They share the surplus with the beekeeper, and because they add enzymes to the nectar of the followers, honey will not spoil or ferment.
- Honey extraction equipment and other beekeeping equipment has a cost, but it is far less expensive than other farm or agricultural equipment.
- If your apiary (a collection of beehives) gets too many colonies of honeybees for your backyard, then unlike other livestock, you can simply ask a neighbor if you can put some of your valuable honeybees on their property in the unused place in the back.
Beekeeping is a worthy pursuit to help promote the survival of honeybees. Good luck learning how to start a honey bee farm of your own.
The honey bee hive is busy place where every bee has a job. The hive consists of the queen honey bee, the drones and the workers. Part of learning how … Read More